If you want a happy, healthy and fulfilling life, your instincts can show you the way. However, our modern lifestyles can make it hard for many of us to tune into the natural wisdom of our instincts. Especially those that go beyond our social and cultural programming.
What are instincts, Why are they important and How can they help?
Often we hear phrases like “go with your gut instinct” or “just trust yourself, you will know what to do.” But, hearing the wisdom of our bodies and their messages can be difficult. The instinctual inner voice is often muffled amidst the loud demands of modern living and the experiences of our lives.
Biodanza works to restore our natural instincts
Biodanza works to restore our ability to tune in to our body. Therefore to be able to access what we instinctively feel irrespective of what may seem like a crazy or chaotic situation.
By listening and responding to our basic instincts we learn to focus on what we need to stay healthy. We move towards what nourishes our life. Biodanza offers us an enriched environment. Here we can develop our instinctual intelligence and flourish as human beings.
~ Paula Jardim, Biodanza facilitator
The different human instincts that can be reactivated with Biodanza
- Life Instinct – which tells us when we’re hungry and thirsty, and help us keep the body in balance. Its reactivation leads to health, vitality, enthusiasm, motivation and joy.
- Exploratory Instinct – helps us to adapt to change and create the lives we really want for ourselves so we feel as if we’re part of life’s creative flow.
- Sexual Instinct – ensures the survival of the species, helps us find our sexual identity, and gives us information about our desires. Its reactivation helps us find the right mate, the right father for our children, and healthy sources of pleasure.
- Gregarious Instinct – this is the instinct which helps us connect to people, love and look after our children, build happy communities, experience a sense of solidarity with humanity. It enables us to see the beauty of humanity, find balance in giving and receiving, and work for the benefit of others.
- Fusion Instinct– in Biodanza this is the instinct of belonging to something bigger than ‘just our little egos’. It’s reactivation helps us to let go of the ego, feel part of nature and be at home in the universe.
Today, even more perhaps than in Freud’s time we can see how his words ring true.
It is impossible to overlook the extent to which civilisation is built up upon a renunciation of instinct.
How do we become more instinctive?
Trying to be more ‘instinctive’ is increasingly difficult to do in today’s world. So, how do we do it? It’s not a ‘thinking’ type of activity. Rather it is a felt experience. We all know how a strong tribal beat can give us a sense of impetus and energy. Or, how simply feeling a hand gently hold your own can bring a sense of belonging. The three central elements of a Biodanza class: music, movement and the group, provide the perfect place for our instincts to come back to life.
When we leave a class, our instincts are a little nearer our fingertips, ready to ensure we can respond to our fundamental needs more positively and sensitively.
Re-awaken your natural instincts with Biodanza
Rather than denying our body’s natural signalling systems, why not reawaken them? In Biodanza we do this in a way which is fun, liberating and yet safe. Stress is regulated and our potential for living a healthy, pleasurable and creative life is restored. We learn to listen to the fibres of our being and instinctively start experiencing the love and sense of belonging we all need.